CAREERS : HOW DOES IT HAPPEN AT BILTON SCHOOL
We design and plan work-related activities which help the student to demonstrate and acquire:
- Character Education
- Self-Awareness and Development
- Career Exploration
- Raising Career Aspirations & Career Management
- Support with researching and applying for GCSE, Post 16 and Post 18 options (Further Education, Higher Education, Apprenticeships and Employment Opportunities)
- Employability Skills (CV, Mock Interview & Work experience)
- Useful career related websites (UCAS, National Apprenticeships, Start Profile)
- Labour Market Information
- Useful Websites
- Careers Education, Information, Advice & Guidance Policy
At Bilton school we have an inhouse Careers consultant who offers:
1-2-1 career interviews and careers advice, support with choosing;
GCSE & A Level subjects, post 16 and 18 options, work experience, employability skills such as writing a CV, how to search for Jobs/Apprenticeships, completing an application form, preparing for an interview
The career services offer:
- 1-2-1 guidance interviews
- Individual tailored action plans
- Options choices (GCSE and Post 16 options)
- Further Education guidance
- Higher Education guidance
- Apprenticeships/Traineeships/T-Levels guidance
- Employability Skills (CV writing, Application forms, Interview skills)
If you would like a Careers interview, please contact our school’s career consultant, Mr Stoddart, or ask your tutor, or Miss Francis (Head of Character and Culture) for further guidance and information.
Careers in the Curriculum
You will also learn about Careers within your Character and Culture sessions. As outlined in the Character and Culture Curriculum yearly overviews.
All students throughout the key stages are introduced to Careers during their Character and Culture lessons. During this structured time, students can access the necessary information needed towards making their future pathway choices. Students participate in our own Character and Culture Education Programme, to develop the skills that will be sought after by employers in the future.
The career programme covers:
- Setting goals and career aspirations
- Personal career pathways and options
- Labour Market information
- Employability skills (including: CV’S, covering letters, applications, interviews)
- Character Development (including learning about self-awareness, self-knowledge, self-esteem and self-confidence)
- World of work, Including the different Career Sectors and different organisation and how they work
- Equality Act, 2010 – protected characteristics, Inclusion in the workplace, the rights and responsibilities in the workplace
Students will also receive guidance from our career’s consultant, their tutors and as well as the career team, during their option choices, transition periods and throughout the key stages.
The school works closely with a range of external providers to ensure that students have access to a broad range of memorable experiences throughout their time at Bilton School. We also hold an annual summer careers fair and mark the national careers week to celebrate careers in the wider curriculum and beyond. Students have access to career pathway information through assemblies and talks and during open evenings and events.
Students have access to Start Profile and Grofar (career platforms), to investigate and explore different career profiles, looking at the skills and qualifications required for their preferred career sectors.
All Yr10 and YR12 students will be offered the opportunity of completing a one-week work experience placement during the Summer holidays.
Sixth Form students have an introduction to applying for University and looking at alternative to Higher Education during the UCAS day in July each year. Bilton School invites in universities and local employers to discuss Post 16 options and support students with personal statement, applications and student finance. Students also have access to various different apprenticeship and careers fairs.
Students are supported by our Careers consultant, the careers team, as well as, Miss Johnson (Head of 6th form).
HOW ELSE CAN STUDENTS RECEIVE SUPPORT?
The Head of Year 11 and Head of 6th form work closely with the school Careers Consultant. All students are offered the opportunity of at least one individual careers interview to receive impartial careers information advice and guidance. Students and or parents can request career interviews with Mr Stoddart. Our students who have special needs, are at risk or in need of specialised guidance will automatically be referred to Mr Stoddart.
Local apprenticeship and job opportunities are promoted on the Bilton twitter page and students’ blogs are regularly updated with the latest vacancies. Local college and training provider prospectus and open days are available from Mr Stoddart in the career’s office or Miss Johnson in the 6th form centre.
Guidance - Higher and degree apprenticeships
Provides information for young people on the opportunities, progression and benefits of doing a higher or degree apprenticeship.
Careers Team at Bilton School:
Mr Martin – Assistant Head
Mr Stoddart – Careers consultant
Miss Francis – Head of Character and Culture
Mr Dodds – Assistant Head and Head of Year 11
Miss Johnson – Head of 6th Form
HERE ARE THE DIFFERENT WAYS YOUR COMPANY CAN SUPPORT THE BILTON SCHOOL CAREERS PROGRAMME
- Attend school career fair
- Deliver presentations on your company's specialist area, (talks, projects, workshops)
- Attend mock interviews
- Provide work experience placements
- provide mentoring
- Support Employability Skills sessions
HERE ARE THE DIFFERENT WAYS BILTON SCHOOL IS WILLING TO SUPPORT YOUR COMPANY
- Promote your full and part time vacancies
- Promote apprenticeships/traineeships
- Promote volunteering placements
- Participate in workshops, talks, projects or competitions
GENERAL CAREER INFORMATION AND GUIDANCE
LOCAL COLLEGES & TRAINING PROVIDERS
Coventry & Warwickshire Training - http://www.cw-chambertraining.co.uk/
Heart Of England Training - https://www.hoet.co.uk/
JBC Computers- http://www.jbc.co.uk/
Manufacturing Technology Centre - http://www.the-mtc.org/
Midland Group Training Services - https://www.mgts.co.uk/
GAP YEAR/STUDYING ABROAD
GENERAL CAREERS INFORMATION
Success at School https://successatschool.org